With summer close by many people are thinking about family vacations. I didn’t take a lot of family vacations growing up. I guess beginning the military my parents had enough travel every few years and didn’t feel the need to add on anymore.
Aside from our trip to Disney a few years ago, my boys and I haven’t been on a family vacation either. Instead of taking an expensive trip we like to stay home and find fun stuff to do in our area. This is what they call a staycation. You get the fun of a vacation without the huge expense and long travel times.
Tips for a Relaxing Staycation
If you are planning a staycation for your family be sure to take some time to really plan. You want to be able to relax and have fun without worrying about the usual day to day stresses.
1. Set some ground rules: Take some time to decide on some ground rules for the entire family. What do you want your vacation to look like? No working, no cleaning, no cooking, no video games? Have a family meeting so everyone can get on the same page.
2. Get your house ready: Take a day to clean your home and even plan some freezer or easy to cook meals so that you can relax during your week. Be sure the laundry is done and the bills are all paid you can fully embrace vacation mode.
3. Plan for fun: Take a look at the different things there are to do in your area: amusement parks, beaches, pools, water parks, etc. Having a list of options will help you plan activities for your family each day. You don’t want to wake up and have nothing on your agenda because then you won’t feel like you are actually on vacation.
4. Plan for downtime: Here’s the thing that I learned on our trip to Disney — be sure to plan some downtime during your vacation. Maybe instead of going to an amusement park for the day you plan to just stay at home and plan some board games or listen to an audiobook.
5. Take pictures: Be sure to take pictures of all the fun memories you are creating with your family! Give your little ones a disposable camera and let them click away. I bet it will be fun watching your vacation through their eyes!
Make the Most of Your Staycation with a Museum Pass in Tampa Bay, FL
Every year I purchase a museum pass for my family. We get a great discount as homeschoolers and we are able to visit different fun places like local museums, aquariums and even the zoo at times. You can also use your pass all across the United States for free or discounted admission to museums and zoos. Here are some fun places that my family really enjoys in our area:
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Glazer Children’s Museum
- Great Exploration Children’s Museum
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- Sunken Gardens
- Florida Railroad Museum
- Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium
- Florida Aquarium
- Lowry Park Zoo
Be sure to check out these other amazing staycation posts!
A – D
Phoenix, Arizona — Saving For Someday
Fresno, California — Living A Frugal Life
Orange County, California — More With Less Today
San Diego, California — Southern Cali Saver
Denver, Colorado — Bargain Blessings
Washington, District of Columbia — Kidventurous
F – I
Disney World, Florida — The Happy Housewife
Jacksonville, Florida — Saving The Family Money
Orlando, Florida — Coupon Mamacita
St Augustine, Florida — Simply St. Augustine
Tallahasse, Florida — SwagGrabber
Tampa Bay, Florida — LaToyaEdwards.net
Atlanta, Georgia — Pretty Frugal Diva
Dahlonega, Georgia — Kathys Cluttered Mind
Savannah, Georgia — This Mommy Saves Money
Aurora/Chicago, Illinois — A Savings WOW!
Chicago, Illinois — Entertaining Chicago
Indianapolis, Indiana — Chaos Is Bliss
K – P
Lexington, Kentucky — Homeschool Village
Louisville, Kentucky — The Kennedy Adventures
Northern Kentucky, Kentucky — Simply Sherryl
Carroll County, Maryland — Looking at life CreativLEI
Boston, Massachusetts — Maven of Savin
Battle Creek, Michigan — Pichea Place
Grand Rapids, Michigan — Give Me Neither
Metro Detroit, Michigan — Saving Dollars and Sense
Kansas City Area, Missouri/Kansas — Redefined Mom
Omaha, Nebraska — Family Fun in Omaha
Central, New Jersey — Our Good Life
Cincinnati, Ohio — Adventure Mom
Cleveland, Ohio — Kosher on a Budget
Columbus, Ohio — Cleverly Simple
Dayton, Ohio — Savings Lifestyle
Mansfield & Richland County, Ohio — The Traveling Praters
Miami County, Ohio — Something 2 Offer
Northeast, Ohio — Sisters Shopping on a Shoestring
Portland, Oregon — Frugal Living NW
Harrisburg/Central, PA — Family Balance Sheet
Erie, Pennsylvania — Growing Kids Ministry
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — Moms Need To Know
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — The Coupon High
R – W
Arlington, Texas — Grocery Shop For FREE
Fort Worth, Texas — Coupons and Freebies Mom
Houston, Texas — Melissa’s Bargains
Katy, Texas — Moms Confession
San Antonio, Texas — How to Homeschool My Child
Tyler, Texas — iLoveMy5Kids
Charlottesville, Virgina — How to Have it All
Norfolk, Virgina — The Talking Suitcase
Richmond, Virgina — Vacation Maybe
Seattle, Washington — Thrifty NW Mom
Tacoma/South Puget Sound, Washington — Queen Bee Coupons
Oshkosh, Wisconsin — A Little Bit of This and That